Sunday, October 13, 2013

If you were put in a situation of seeing inappropriate content posted by a student, how would you approach it?

I have actually been in this situation in the past with a FIG (Freshman Interest Group) student that I taught. This particular student added me on Facebook on the very first day of class. Being new to teaching and the position of an FA (FIG Assistant), I accepted her request thinking that it would be a great way to connect with the students outside of class. I began to feel strange about this almost immediately knowing that all of my personal posts were now out there and subject to judgment from my students. Thankfully I had a fairly G rated Facebook that had only contained slight bits of information about my political views and personal life. This was not the case, however for the student I befriended. They had every detail of their life on display for me and all of their friends to see. From weekend festivities to illicit activities- it was all there. For the most part I tried not to look at what they were posting so that I didn't develop a bias towards or against the student in class. I had already made the mistake of friending the student, so I wanted to try my best to avoid any future mistakes that could arise from the situation. However one day came that the student emailed me and told me that they were sick and needed to stay home from class. After class I logged onto Facebook to see that they had gone shopping with friends that day during our scheduled class time. While I was hurt that the student lied to me, I had to remember the duties I had as an FA and judge the situation based on what would be the least disruptive to the relationship the student and I had. I chose not to confront them and give them a makeup assignment as I would in any other situation. While pretending I didn't see the post was difficult at first, I knew that it was necessary to maintain the classroom community we had created. From that year on I have refused to befriend any of my FIG students until after the year is complete. This keeps my classroom environment a safe place where students can feel comfortable sharing or not sharing anything they want with me and their peers. I also have created Facebook groups since that year so that my students can use Facebook as a tool to communicate with others in the FIG in a space that allows them to keep their other information private.

My 2012 FIG (not from the year that I friended the student!)

1 comment:

  1. I think it is amazing how you kept your composure and maintained a very professional attitude towards the situation. I agree that is an incredibly hard place to be put in and that illustrates the idea that having a social media relationship with a student is incredibly hard and forces the question on where the line is drawn, what you as a teacher can do, and how you should move forward in the future.

    ReplyDelete