Friday, October 4, 2013

Technology in the Classroom- A Hindrance to Creativity

While I am definitely an advocate of technology in the classroom, I have recently come to a new understanding about the ways that technology can actually hinder the development of a child's creative growth. Last year,  I was fortunate enough to observe at a school that used a Waldorf curriculum- a pedagogy that excludes technology completely from the classroom. This was a difficult concept for me at first, but as I got to know the kids and started becoming involved in what they were learning, I could really see the benefit to this approach.



Computers graphicsThe students at this school spent their days learning how to create sustainable gardens (which also served as the primary food source for their cafeteria), hatch chicks and build chicken coops for the school (which also served as a source of eggs for their cafeteria), play stringed and wind instruments, and some sort of "hand work" (crocheting, knitting, felting, etc...). These skills were all the foundations upon which students learned everything else. For example, their math lesson was built into the chicken coop project as each student had to work together to precisely measure out each piece required to complete the coop; and their reading and grammar lesson was built in to their group work to create letters for community members informing them about their community garden. It was amazing to me how connected these students were not only to the academic skills they were gaining, but also to their sense of self and the community around them. I truly believe that this is something that is most effectively achieved through removing technology from the learning environment and allowing students a space to freely explore their own creativity.


Computers graphicsI also did a survey of several students in my classroom to assess whether or not they were able to access and use technology at home. Almost all of the students said that they had access to multiple technological outlets at home and enjoyed their time being "unplugged" at school each day. I felt like this finding just further showed how important it is to give kids a space to just be kids and explore who they are and how they fit into this world. While I am still not sure if a classroom that is totally void of technology is right for my personal teaching pedagogy, I am definitely more cautious technology after my experience at the Waldorf school.




2 comments:

  1. Ashley, this is a fantastic post (with awesome animations). Your experience at a Waldorf school really adds a great perspective to the technology issue. And I love that you are bringing these ideas to class. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, your pages are great! Very well put together. I feel like it is tough for a teacher to teach without any type of technology at all in the classroom. It really allows for the teacher as well as the kids to be critical thinkers outside of technology and could boost their creativity in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete